I’ve been meaning to do a link-salad type post for a long time, and I just never came up with a catchy name for it. So: problem solved. I’m going to post this once a week.
I’ll just put in the links I found interesting or funny or whatever, and I’ll try to keep away from the rage-inducing stuff.
Computers & Technology
- From inception to Apple store in just one year
- The danger of paying a celebrity to tweet about your phone.
- Roses are red Violets are blue Nagios is red OH FUCK THE SITE’S DOWN
- For those of you with domain names, I like the domain ethics of @iwantmyname
- Expectations vs Reality in web development (pic) Also saw this one mentioned about film budgets.
- When You Fall in Love, This Is What Facebook Sees
Writing & Publishing
- If you’re a writer, and you want to know the difference between “show” don’t “tell,” the NBC Olympics coverage is NOTHING but tell.
- Last SFWA mention of the night and why you should join: Cory Doctorow’s “In praise of SFWA’s Grievance Committee”
- Courtney Milan: Some Thoughts on Author Earnings Courtney doesn’t blog much, but, when she does, it’s amazing. See this post on historical romance print sales, complete with Harlequin royalty statements.
- “For best results, your image should be 900 DPI and no larger than 1 MB.” Sigh. #cantmakethatoneup (me, about p. 19 of the Kobo User’s Guide)
- Women Destroy Science Fiction funds big time! $53,136 pledged of $5,000 goal
- Joys of living in Santa Fe:George RR Martin’s Free Game of Thrones screenings at theater he refurbished & reopened (pic)
- All the #INXS #NeverTearUsApart pics of @ryanjohnsonofoz (that I know of) (pics)
- Sekhmet with her kitties at the #Cairo museum (pic)
- Awesome analysis of typography in Duncan Jones’s MOON. (Spoilers) Bonus robotic hair cutters. LOL @ “Sam has a sexy dream about his wife. It does not, however, contain any typography.”
- Well, I was working and then I was drawing these sexy Photoshop pun valentines, I really don’t know what happened (pic)
- Meowl (pics)
- Ursula V’s honey badger valentine. (pic)
- Lauren Beukes: Mahala’s got a great piece up on one of my favorite street artists, Faith47. (pics) (Twitter link)
- Gull, a short film with @ryanjohnsonofoz and Andrew Ryan, is now on YouTube. (pic, video)
- This Is What a Librarian Looks Like. Awesome photos by @kylecassidy. (pics)
- Coffee condoms in the morning (pic)
- Marc Almond saw the Tainted Love floppy drive rendition, & decided to sing over the top… (video)
- Boldly going where no ring has gone before. Star Trek USS Enterprise ring
- Something warm and cozy for those snowed in this morning. #Catpurrcino (pic) Quite the doubletake.
- Thesaurus club. (pic)
- My Airplane Depressurized And Dropped 20,000 Feet Awesome tale. Last line FTW.
- Strawberry Field (forever). Highly manipulated sign from Liverpool, 2011. Pic (mine) is below.
Science, Health, and Things Like That
- Addiction doesn’t happen right away & that makes it worse. 5 Unexpected Things I Learned from Being a Heroin Addict
- Melted magma could warn of brewing volcanic eruptions
- Hatching. Baby. Ostrich. (pic)
- Location location location. (pic)
- Critically Endangered Amur Leopards Born at Prague Zoo So. Adorable.
- In the ladies’ room, #gally (pic) Probably also in the men’s room….
- Today especially, remember, “Aloha” can mean “I love you” or it can mean “We’re breaking up.” #hawaiiproblems
- Polite reminder for straight people who say “who cares” when someone comes out: such gestures are addressed to lonely queer kids. not you.
- Seller mistakes Tengwar for Arabic on ring inscription. Not the Lord’s Prayer! Amazon review hilarity ensues.
- Rick: “I’m sorry, you’re saying you have a presence on the Internet? I don’t have any understanding of what this is like.”
- “1983 just sent me a push notification” (pic)
- After looking at today’s shirt.woot.com: Rick: I need to go home now. Me: You are home. Rick: No. I think I need to go home now.
- Your shirt is red My shirt is blue Only one can beam up Can you guess who?
- “I’m afraid if I merge all tabs I’ll create a black hole and never be seen again.” (me)
- “I’m convinced cats believe in alternate universes every time it rains. They keep wanting to go out to the DRY outdoors.” (me)
- Rick: “These cannot be my socks.” Me: “Why?” Rick: “Because there’s an odd number of them.” (So, so true.)
- “This cake is vegan AND gluten-free AND soy-free.” … “Oh, that explains it.”
- “Everything happens for a reason” criticism, especially for you non-believers. (pic)